Focused On Serving Our Clients' Needs For More Than 40 Years

For decades, we have been using our extensive trial experience and substantial knowledge of
the law to help people through the tough times.

Can I stop paying child support if my ex is being difficult?

On Behalf of | May 11, 2022 | Child Custody

It can feel like a loss when a court orders you to pay child support to your ex. It can also feel like you are paying for the right to see your own kids.

Hence, if your spouse is being difficult or trying to prevent you from spending time with the kids, you may consider cutting off the supply of money.

The quick answer is don’t. Let’s look at why.

Child support and visitation are not connected

Despite what you or your spouse may feel, the law does not see one as dependent on the other. As a parent, you have a legal right to see your child, and your child has a legal right to see you. That is why a judge awards visitation, not because you pay for the privilege.

Despite the fact that you have to pay the money to your ex and cannot control how they use it, the money is for your child. It is meant to ensure that your child grows up with their essential financial needs met.

Refusing to pay will create problems for you

You may find it much harder to see your child if you refuse to pay child support, as it could end up with you going to jail.

The court can also take other measures such as suspending your driving license or simply ordering the employer to pay the money out of your wages.

So what can you do?

If your ex is not giving you your allocated visitation rights, get legal help to ask a court to enforce them or modify the custody agreement in your favor.